Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Best Day of My Life


I'm going to try and describe the best I can what the last 24 hours were like for me.It was like some crazy dream that I always wished would come true but never thought it would.If any of you care to read this that's cool.But I'm mostly doing this while it's still fresh in my mind.I hate how time makes memories all fuzzy.


New York City, July 7th, 2010.Ringo's 70th birthday show at Radio City.

From the day I heard about this show 6 months ago, I thought there was a HUGE possibility that Paul would be there.Not only is it Ringo's 70TH birthday (He's the first Beatle to turn 70) but Paul is ON Ringo's new album,and as far as I knew, he wasn't going back on tour until a few days later.Not to mention the fact that this is RADIO CITY we're talking about.For me, the reasons for him to be there far outweighed the reasons for him not to.But everyone I talked to told me the same thing: "No".It was never going to happen.Even my cousin Tommy,who is the Beatle fan of ALL Beatle fans,told me it was never going to happen.In fact, after a while,even I started to believe it wasn't ever going to happen.....But it did!!!

About 15 minutes after the All Star band arrived,my friend Rudy and I (the only two people there) get told by a security guard to move to a lamppost near the curb of the street,about 3 feet from the stage door.We happily obliged, and got our camera's and sharpees ready for we knew that something was about to happen.Sure enough, a massive black SUV then proceeded to pull up in front of the stage door.The door flys open and immediately a security guard appears.At this point, I was 150% sure that Ringo would be the next one coming out.Never in a MILLION years did I think it would be who it turned out to be....PAUL FREAKIN' MCCARTNEY.
I can't even describe what this moment was like.For the past year of my life I have wished and wished for an opportunity to meet this man.If there was ever going to be a chance of that happening, it had to happen on this day.But,to be perfectly honest, I psyched myself out into thinking he wasn't going to show up, so when I saw him come out I was so shocked that I really didn't have much of a reaction.He walked out carrying a guitar case (most likely the infamous Hofner),and I went into shock, then somehow managed to yell out "Hi Paul!!!".He looks over at me,waves,and then proceeds to go inside.
It was then that I realized what just happened.And then I freaked.I grabbed Rudy and kept saying "That was Paul McCartney! That was Paul McCartney!" As happy as I was at seeing him (and having him wave at me) I was a little sad that I didn't even get to talk to him.I was SO close.I thought for sure that there was no way I'm ever going to have an opportunity like that again.Just when I thought it was over....

I hear somebody calling Rudy and I over.We look towards a Black SUV parked directly outside the stage door.It's the All Star Band's driver.He calls us over to the driver's window,leans over and whispers "He's coming out soon.He's only going to be in there for 45 minutes." We thank the driver and immediately become excited again.
We really didn't know what to expect at this point.We didn't even know if Paul would stop for us.We spent the next 45 minutes coming up with various maneuvers that would be helpful in our quest to make him stop for us.Even still, at this point,I was surprised that we were the ONLY two people waiting outside.No paparazzi,no crazy fans, nothing.I started to believe that our chances were undeniably in our favor.But only if it remained the two of us....And it did.
Sure enough, 45 minutes later, we took our original places right outside the stage door and waited.About 5 minutes later, the door opens and out walks Paul, hands free,Blazer slung over his shoulder.He walks out the door,stops turns right in front of me and says "Hi, How are you?" as he signed Rudy's vinyl of "Memory Almost Full".Then it was my turn.it went something like this...


Me: "Paul I've waited my whole life to meet you"

Paul: "I've waited MY whole life to meet YOU!"

I then asked him for a picture and happily obliged.He shook our hands (yes, I touched Paul McCartney people!)




So we thank him and he goes on walking towards his SUV.I think he's gone and immediately start squealing and shaking Rudy like a ragdoll. Then, all of a sudden..... I hear this...


"Hey,you!"


I look towards the SUV and see Paul,head sticking out of the truck, pointing at ME!


Me: "Me?"

Paul: "Yea. you! You too! *points at Rudy* Come over here!"


So we did...I mean,when Paul McCartney calls you over... you COME over... ;)


So over we came.Then Paul leaned in and said this:


Paul: "No one is supposed to know I'm here.This is a surprise for everyone.So,you never got those autographs.This is our little secret."


So of course we promised to keep it a secret.

And then he thanked us,Got into his SUV and waved through the window at us and the people who were now stopped on the street watching.


And that was that.


Then it hit me.


I just met Paul McCartney...

I just freakin' met Paul McCartney....


And I have to keep the biggest secret I've EVER kept in my whole life.


After it hit us, Rudy and I shed many tears and fangirled for what seemed like hours.


So we pulled ourselves together and waited for Ringo.He ended up coming out nearly an hour after Paul had left.He came out and greeted us and we wished him a Happy Birthday.It all happened so fast.


And so ended the first portion of the day.


I kept that secret all the way through the show.We loved watching the people in the crowd.They had no idea what they were about to experience.Once we came to our seats we saw Yoko Ono walk past us to the front of the stage.Little did we know she would later join Ringo onstage for "Give Peace A Chance".


As usual, Ringo ended his set with a medley of "With a Little Help from My Friends"/"Give Peace A Chance". This night in particular he was joined by Yoko and a whole bunch of his friends and family.Afterwords, Ringo said good night to the crowd as his grandchildren rolled out a cake in the shape of a drum kit.Then all of Radio City sang him Happy Birthday.


Then everyone leaves the stage,the lights go out, and the moment finally arrived.The lights flash on and there stands Paul with his bass and Ringo on his drums and they break into a rendition of "Birthday".


In my lifetime, I've been to hundreds...maybe even thousands of concerts.I've never EVER experienced a crowd reaction like this one.And I don't think I ever will.The woman in the row in front of me was crying,I was crying....we hugged each other despite being total strangers, it was simply incredible.In fact, when I came home that night and told my boyfriend, when I got to this particular part I actually started crying as I told him!

I just can't believe it....I can now say I've met the Beatles.Little old me!who knew?

This is going to take some getting used to...

1 comment: