Saturday, April 23, 2011

So part of my spring break was spent out and about in the shops and I know a few people at the FEST asked me where I go to get my records and what to look for and stuff, so I figured I'd
share a few things I got this week....




1.) The Harry Nilsson Anthology

If you like Nilsson and don't have this, get it.Personally, I'm a Nilsson demo junkie, and this one is great for my fix. Primarily in the bonus disc. Most of my Nilsson records are on vinyl so I didn't own the bonus tracks tacked on the end of "PussyCats" and "Nilsson Schmilsson" .My favorite is the early version of "Old Forgotten Soldier" and the demo of "Save The Last Dance For Me" will give you chills.


2.) John Lennon- A Day On The Radio

This disc is the broadcast of Dennis Elsas talking with John at the 102.7 station in September of 1974 when he came to promote "Walls And Bridges", among other things. Basically, its full of John banter that I will never get tired of hearing. I met Dennis at the "LennonNYC" premiere last September and he gets just as excited talking about that day as he did back then. Its a good one for the bootlegs.

3.) Paul and Linda McCartney- Ram (Mono)

Someone I met at BeatleFest told me that this was an absolute must-have for my collection. I only ever had the stereo version but I've made no secret of the fact that this is one of my FAVORITE McCartney records ever. So I took on the challenge of tracking down the mono version. You can DEFINITELY appreciate the sound a whole lot better, and this version came with a track called "BRUNG TO EWE" that wasn't on the stereo version I have.

4.) The GOASTT- La Carotte Bleue

I picked this one up for record store day last week. Its basically a more processed version of the "Acoustic Sessions" one from last October, with a few new tracks added. I can't even give an objective review of this. I am eternally obsessed with anything composed by Sean Lennon.

5.) Bob Dylan- The Dylan/Cash Sessions

If you're like me and "Nashville Skyline" is one of your favorite Dylan records, then this one is great one for the collection.Not only does this have the studio outtakes but they also have the performances from "The Johnny Cash Show". Oh yeah,and Bob maintains his "Nashville Skyline" country voice throughout the entire duration of this record.

6.) Fistful of Mercy

Another one I got for Record Store Day. This one was a "7 single containing a cover of the Velvet Underground's "Pale Blue Eyes" and a live version of "Things Go Round". The latter is my favorite one on the "As I Call You Down" record and the harmony's on "Pale Blue Eyes" are beautiful. I almost like this version better that the Velvet Undergrounds. Hopefully Lou Reed won't kill me for that.

7.) The Best of Badfinger

All that talking I did with Joey Molland (Badfinger's guitarist) at the FEST inspired me to get this one. I like the fact that "Come and Get It" is on this one so I can compare it with The Beatles' version. And for the original version of "Without You" of course :)

8.) The Complete Lost Lennon Tapes

Yes, COMPLETE Lost Lennon Tapes.It contains all 22 volumes, exactly 543 songs that were broadcast on the radio program from 1988-1992. Its full of alternate mixes,takes,live performances,radio & television broadcasts,home demos that John recorded himself in Bermuda, Cold Spring Harbor,at the Dakota etc etc etc. Basically, this is HEAVEN on earth for a Lennon fan. This collection is something that you will NEVER find in a "Box of Vision" or any other officially released Lennon record out there right now. Its by far the most precious of my Lennon memorabilia, and my favorites are the demos for "Double Fantasy" that he made himself at the Dakota. Its amazing, yet not surprising to hear what that man could do with just a rhythm box and a guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment